Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Metamorphosis

We had a great discussion today. I know that this blog is open to anyone who choose to visit, but my postings will be written directly to the participating class. For future classes, we should appoint a scribe (to capture our ideas in writing) and a photographer to visually document our process.

I heard a recurrent theme in our group discussion that centered around the sense of disconnection or disembodiment that we experience as our use of communications technology increases and physical contact with people and the natural world decreases.

Our pile of discarded clothing has possibilities as a material to explore old ways/new ways of being in the world.

Mr. Lack's story about his pet tarantula who became "two" tarantulas when she shed her skin is sticking with me. Have you ever had a conversation with someone online, and then seen them in person, and not remembered to continue that topic until you are back online again? I have and experience that as a peculiar splitting of my self.

Our next meeting won't be held until March 28th, just over two weeks from today. If we can continue our conversation here in this blog, we can make use of the time between to push our ideas around and keep them fresh.

Each of us will remember different aspects of today's conversations. Please add what you recall, especially what had particular resonance for you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also talked about the growing chasm of communication between the new generation of people, due to ever-changing technology of computers and phones.
I think the metamorphosis project will alow us as a class to forget about the cell phones and the ipods for an hour and 17 minutes per week, and focus on the changes inside of us, rather than the changes in modernization around us.

Denise Driscoll said...

Well put Allison. I am interested in seeing how our taking the time to turn inward might create something that could encourage your fellow students to do the same.

Anonymous said...

I also like the idea of clothes being a snapshot of who were at one point in time. We shed older aspects of ourselves, yet in an increasingly modern, and rapidly changing world, can not only lose sight of who we are, but others as well. I like the idea of using the clothes to bring us together somehow - using pieces of ourselves to show how we are are all connected. Perhaps?

Denise Driscoll said...

Hi Cody
You are right, it is easy to confuse change with growth, especially when a "change" might be encouraged by the people who are selling us the new phones, iPods, clothing, make-up, etc. These superficial changes might temporarily satisfy that urge that is coming from the need to shed or mark an actual inner metamorphosis. There is a lot to discuss in your comment. I've rewritten my reply several times and can't address all of it. We'll talk in class today.

I especially like the idea of using our clothes to make connections (reveal connections?) between us.

Anonymous said...

I like both Cody and Ali's ideas and i definitly think we should use the clothing as a medium. I think we should expand on that whole idea of the empty cacun in the cort yard and we should have other objects that help create a story of transformation. I think it is equally important to make an instillation that encourages interaction from the students.

Anonymous said...

Yo this is Anton from NHS, your idea looks very cool. I really like the idea of making a cocoon out of old clothing. How big will the cocoon be, and how many will there be? And where will they be in the school? I know that if I saw cocoons make of clothing I would be very interested, and I think every one else would be too. I think this represents a very cool idea. My interpretation of something like this would be peoples personalities meshing together to create tight groups of people that are all different. It will be pretty cool to see where your idea goes, and I wonder what you guys think of our installation at Needham. I think ours is pretty cool but you's is awesome.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

hey. this is Mia and i'm also from NHS. I really like the idea of making an installation out of clothes. This really made an impact on me because it makes me think of how so many of my clothes I associate with an experience that usually is from my childhood.
I think that you should have some of the clothes spread out and some in the cocoon because you could see more of the individual clothes. This would also make the message more clear because you could see the group of people having a cocoon and then have a representation of an individual's experience with the individual clothes being displayed.